Thursday 5 July 2012


Day 103…………………….Why Run Long?

Yet another late start to the day, normally it bothers me to be leaving so late in the day, I like to get out there and knock off the set mileage for the day with plenty of day light up my sleeve and the option to add a few km’s if I’m feeling good. But, this morning I must have needed the sleep in as both me and Vickie missed the alarm clock and it took me a while to get myself together.
I was awake by the time I got off the foam roller…no prizes for guessing why!
Once out on the trail, I was back out what I like doing. There hasn’t really been a day where I need to really motivate myself to get out of the Motheship, Even on mornings where I really can’t be bothered; I still want to go run, just not first up. But what I do know is that if you don’t just get up and get on with it, time quickly disappears or tiredness sets in.
The motivation thing comes up a fair bit, I’m always asks what motivates me to go out there every single day and run a marathon plus over the mountains, rain, hail or shine, and trust me Ive had all three! There is a simple answer…..Because I love it.
Its easy to do something you like doing. No one has to motivate themselves to eat chocolate or go to the pub on a Friday night for a few beers. Why? Because you like doing it. Running is one of those things that the best part of the population do, because they feel they should, rather than for the pure love of it, there isn’t many of us like that, but the few of us that run for fun are the ones that take it to the extremes and go run regardless of injury, weather or family commitments.
Today’s run started with a climb up in to the hills at the back of Nanango with views all around. The trail then headed towards the State forest, which I hugged for the best part of 15km.
The rest of the day would be spent in the undulated country side through huge cattle stations and on to Elgin Vale, which is marked on the map as a town, but Vickie past it on her way in to find me and said it was just another station.
I was happy to see Vickie as I was tired. I started out great, but come the afternoon, I was struggling a little.
My days out on the trail seem to be very different in terms of how I’m feeling. It’s not always due to the terrain either, it just seems that some days I’m on fire and others flat, no real pattern, but I’m happy to say that for most days I’m loving every moment of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment