Thursday 29 March 2012

VIC Day Five……………………Vertical Beauty

VIC Day Five……………………Vertical Beauty 


I feel like I have been run over tonight. I had a relatively short day in terms of mileage, but was out there for hours!
Leaving the campsite this morning I felt happy that the day ahead should be a short one. I wasn’t feeling terrible sore, but just felt like lazing around sipping lattes and eating junk. No such thing on the BNT it was time to get my stuff together and get on with the day job!
Both I and Vickie were a little off this morning, the routine is hard to get in to and the pressure of something so epic weighs on our shoulders still. It’s been nonstop for both of us, early starts and late nights seem to be the norm at the moment, but we still need to find a groove in what we are doing, So the days can run a bit more seamlessly. Something had to break sooner rather than later; and it was a quick  “I hate you, I love you” argument before getting on with it!
I wasn’t looking forward to the first five K’s of my run this morning, as it followed the Jamison – Eildon Road. What I didn’t expect was a slight downhill, quiet and scenic road, in the sunshine and a great time to prepare myself for the day ahead.
I only came across one person today. In fact there hasn’t been a day since the ravers that I have really seen anybody out on the trail. It was early on when I met this old boy heading down to the river with his fishing rod. I gave him a wave and a “Gidday Mate” as I plodded buy, but he headed towards for a hand shake. “Have you jogged in from Eildon this morning” he said, “No Healesville” I replied, “Oh goodo” he said. I filled him in on what I was doing, and he just gave me a “good on ya”. It’s funny how the country folk think about such things. They seem to have this positiveness to such things, and act like they happen every day. When telling people about Run BNT back in Melbourne I would often get a “Why would you wanna do that” phrase, or a million reasons why I shouldn’t do it. But the people out here, who know how difficult the terrain is, just smile and give you a “Good on ya mate”.
Is a mountain named for the obvious reasons? Normally they are named after the first man to summit it, but was there ever a Mr Terrible? Except the one in the MR Men books!
Well the first terrible incident came in the form of a 5km add on, as I went straight by the turn off to Mount Terrible track! When I finally got back to the turning point, I thought I must of missed it deliberately as it was vertical track that didn’t seem to end……..and it didn’t!
The summit of Mount Terrible was well worth the calf busting three hour ascent. It was a beautiful sight over the mountains and lakes below and I took half hour to enjoy the views. It was the best and only time to date to give Vickie a call as the summit had a telecommunications tower on the top! I let her know that I had 22km to go and should be back to the Maui Mother Ship (Campervan) soon, as long as the descent wasn’t too steep. This is where Mount Terribly Beautiful took a turn and became what it is…..terrible!
There was climb after climb, then followed by some short steep rocky drops before more climbing. Six and a half hours in and I was more than over the relentless climbs. My calf’s wanted to split, my quads wanted to explode and I was losing my rag a little. If it wasn’t for the continual views over the mountains it would have become Mount Terribly Worst!
Seven hours later and am giggling about what was, enjoying the great meal Vickie had yet again, seemed to just knock together! Tucked up in the Maui in yet another beautiful part of the Victoria.
The BNT taught me many things I am thankful for today, one of those being, that things are appropriately named!


Back at the mothership....soggy feet and a hungry belly...
Vix has the shrimps on the BBQ already!





1 comment: